Vodafone has added 128 new mobile sites to its mobile network across Australia, delivering what it says are improved mobile services and providing indoor mobile coverage to an additional 140,000 Australians
The new sites were activated between December 2017 and January 2018 in select metro, outer-metro and regional areas of New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia, Queensland, Tasmania and the Northern Territory.
In addition, Vodafone has introduced 4G services to 91 mobile sites across its network to strengthen 4G voice and data services for customers in these areas.
Vodafone CTO Kevin Millroy said switching on the new sites will give local communities a range of benefits and deliver a better experience overall using their favourite mobile device.
“This is a significant milestone for Vodafone and sets the tone for a big year ahead as we continue to invest heavily in our mobile network,” said Millroy. “The new and upgraded sites strengthen our 4G services and help deliver tailored benefits to different areas, such as faster data speeds, smoother music and video streaming, or stronger mobile coverage when indoors.
“Activating such a significant number of mobile sites means we’re providing an even better Vodafone experience to thousands of Australians while they’re at home, visiting their favourite holiday spots, using major transport routes or living in areas that have increased in population," Millroy said.
The new sites provide deeper coverage on Vodafone’s mobile network. This includes improved indoor coverage, more capacity and - in conjunction with existing sites in each area - an even more consistent and reliable network experience.
“Since activating the new sites, we’ve seen great results across the board. For instance, testing showed a 70 per cent increase in data speeds for our customers in Torquay, Victoria,” said Millroy.
“In Sydney’s west, we’ve seen an increase of almost 30 per cent in data usage from residents of Penrith," he added. “Vodafone customers enjoying the foreshore areas of Larrakeyah and Fannie Bay in Darwin are experiencing improved voice and data services, particularly indoors, and up to a 15 per cent increase in data speeds. This means smoother video streaming, and less time spent loading webpages and downloading emails."
“Over recent years we have spent billions of dollars to expand and strengthen our mobile network," Millroy said. "’Our aim is to give Australians more choice and competition so they no longer have to put up with the status quo.”
Select highlights of local network improvements by state:
New South Wales
- Sydney’s Western Suburbs: Improved 4G coverage in Penrith’s CBD, south Penrith, Jamisontown, Penrith train station and parts of the Western line train
- Sydney’s North-West: More 4G coverage and a more reliable mobile experience in and around the Rhodes Business Park
- Sydney’s South: Significant 4G coverage improvements to Rockdale and Rockdale Train Station, Banksia Train Station, plus parts of the Illawarra line, Bexley, North Kogarah and Arncliffe
- Sydney’s Hills District: Significant 4G coverage improvements to Quakers Hill, Quakers Hill Train Station, parts of the Westlink M7, Marayong, Marayong Train Station, Glendenning, Woodcroft, Schofields and The Ponds
- Newcastle and the Hunter Valley Region: Improving 4G services in Waratah, Kooragang, Mulbring, Singleton Central & North, Cardiff, Telerah and West Wallsend
- Inner Melbourne: More capacity and an overall stronger data experience in parts of Docklands, West Melbourne, Citylink and Dynon Road, and Kensington South
- Suburban Melbourne: More capacity and an overall stronger data experience to Box Hill and the nearby Box Hill shopping district
- Regional Victoria: Significant 4G coverage improvements and an overall more reliable mobile voice and data experience in Torquay
- Hobart: Significant coverage improvements and an overall more reliable mobile voice and data experience in Risdonvale and Lindisfarne
- North Brisbane: Significant 4G coverage improvements and an overall more reliable mobile voice and data experience for customers in Narangba, North Lakes, Margate and Dakabin
- Sunshine Coast: Significant 4G coverage improvements and an overall more reliable mobile voice and data experience for customers in Mountain Creek, Beerwah and Australia Zoo
- Gold Coast: Significant 4G coverage improvements and an overall more reliable mobile voice and data experience for customers in Palm Beach, Main Beach, South Port, Labrador and Gilston
- East Perth: Significant 4G coverage improvements and an overall more reliable mobile voice and data experience for customers in Kalamunda, Lesmurdie, Walliston and Bickey
- Regional Perth: Significant 4G coverage improvements and an overall more reliable mobile voice and data experience for customers in Falcon, Halls Head and parts of Mandurah
- Darwin: Significant coverage improvements and an overall higher quality and more reliable mobile voice and data experience for customers in Larrakeyah, Fannie Bay, Fannie Bay Racecourse, Mindil Beach, Cullen Beach and the surrounding restaurants and bars in the area, Skycity Casino, Millner, Ludmilla, and customers travelling through Darwin Airport
- Adelaide: Improvements to 3G and 4G coverage and an improved data streaming experience for customers in Findon and parts of Woodville West, Woodville South and the nearby Westside Plaza Shopping Centre.