Equinix has completed the US$11 million (A$15.6 million) expansion of its second International Business Exchange data centre in Perth.
Equinix said last month the Government of Western Australia flagged it will invest A$34.7 million in digital transformation in the public sector through the Office of Digital Government, adding that the expansion of Equinix IBX in Perth will further accelerate the pace.
“The increased connectivity Equinix provides in Western Australia also includes access to the Australia Singapore Cable (ASC), which terminates at PE2, enabling Equinix to meet customer demands for interconnection and networking capabilities among businesses in Australia and Southeast Asia,” it added.
“Since entering the West Australian market just over a year ago, we’ve seen substantial growth in the state’s digital economy,” said Equinix Australia MD Jeremy Deutsch. “This expansion of our footprint in Perth will further our ability to offer affordable, scalable, lower latency options for our customers located on the West Coast of Australia and those global customers of ours who are interested in moving into the West Australian market. The interconnection options available in PE2, including our Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric and subsea cable access, will help support our customers during their digital transformation journeys as they move their business closer to the digital edge and look to expand globally.”
- The PE2 IBX is situated about 13.7 miles (approximately 22 kilometres) from the Perth Airport. The expansion has added 225 cabinets and an estimated colocation space of more than 550 square metres (approximately 5,900 square feet) to the facility, bringing the total capacity of PE2 to 700 cabinets and an estimated colocation space of 1,720 square metres (approximately 18,500 square feet).
- PE2 offers a wide range of interconnection options as part of Platform Equinix®, including Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™), which allows customers to privately interconnect cloud and network ecosystems of more than 1,400 customers at 37 metros around the world, including Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, IBM Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Oracle Cloud, and more.
- The Vocus-owned ASC terminates at the PE2 IBX and is also accessible in Equinix IBX data centres in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Adelaide and Brisbane, as well as Singapore. This provides Equinix customers with the ability to interconnect their IT infrastructures and use high performance applications when doing business with Southeast Asia and other parts of the world.
- Recently, Equinix also announced new IBX data centres in Sydney and Melbourne, named SY5 and ME2 respectively. Equinix will have a national footprint of 17 IBX data centres across Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Adelaide and Brisbane, when SY5 and ME2 open in Q3 2019.
- ECX Fabric is currently available in 37 metros globally, including Perth, Melbourne and Sydney in Australia, and other markets across Amsterdam, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Culpeper, Dallas, Denver, Dublin, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Geneva, Helsinki, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Los Angeles, Madrid, Manchester, Miami, Milan, Munich, New York, Osaka, Paris, São Paulo, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Stockholm, Tokyo, Toronto, Warsaw, Washington, D.C. and Zurich.
- Customers set to benefit from the completion of the PE2 expansion include IMDEX, a mining technology company that enables near real-time analysis for mining companies to enable critical decision making for exploration, mining and production. In supporting its business growth and expansion in Australia, IMDEX selected Equinix for its national and global reach to move its IT infrastructure closer to the cloud edge, with a multicloud strategy set to be implemented over the next six months.
- In addition, Servers Australia, which offers solutions for cloud hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, PaaS, IaaS and DRaaS, also built its distributed infrastructures on Platform Equinix throughout Australia. The company currently deploys in Equinix data centres in Melbourne and Sydney, as well as PE2, to offer its customers fast, reliable interconnection and hosting.