Equinix has acquired Switch Datacenters’ AMS1 data center business in Amsterdam, Netherlands, in an all-cash transaction for €30 million.
According to Equinix, the facility – to be renamed Equinix AM11 International Business Exchange data center – is in close proximity to Equinix’s existing campus in southeast Amsterdam. “It will help meet growing demand for digital infrastructure connectivity in the Amsterdam and broader European markets, as businesses continue to build out their digital edge strategies,” said Equinix.
- AM11 becomes the 11th Equinix IBX data center in the Netherlands and the ninth Equinix IBX located in Amsterdam. The data center is a leased asset and adds approximately 250 cabinets of sold capacity and a total capacity for approximately 700 additional cabinets once the facility is completely built out. The site can also support the potential to expand into an adjacent building to accommodate future growth and approximately 1,300 additional cabinets.
- Equinix’s southeast Amsterdam campus includes AM1, AM2, AM5 and AM7. The AM11 data center will be tethered to Equinix’s AM7 data center, enabling customers to easily interconnect with the world’s largest business ecosystems available on Platform Equinix® for maximum collaboration across digital supply chains. AM11 currently has a customer mix that maps closely to Equinix’s existing base including networks, cloud service providers and content and digital media companies.
- Private connectivity between enterprises, strategic cloud service providers and network services is essential as digital transformation fuels higher demand for localized digital services at the edge. According to Volume 2 of the Global Interconnection Index, a market study published by Equinix, the capacity for private data exchange between enterprises and cloud and network service providers is forecast to grow nearly 10 times faster than public internet traffic by 2021.
- Equinix’s Netherlands IBX data centers are business hubs to more than 1,125 companies that connect to business partners and customers across their digital supply chains. Equinix in the Netherlands is home to many thriving, diverse business ecosystems, including:
- Europe’s electronics payments and e-commerce ecosystems, which operate at Equinix to leverage excellent broadband connections to the rest of the world, as well as connections to many global submarine cable networks
- ISPs, telecommunications carriers, content providers and hosting services from all over the world, via connections to the AMS-IX, Equinix IX and NL-IX in Equinix’s Amsterdam colocation facilities
- International enterprises that want to take advantage of the Netherlands’ high-speed connections to the rest of Europe: typical latency from the Netherlands to London, Paris and Frankfurt is less than 50 milliseconds
- Businesses in the Netherlands can access leading cloud service providers such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and Google Cloud, which are available on Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™).